Alphabet-owned YouTube, Snap and TikTok have reportedly reached settlements in a major lawsuit linked to claims that social media platforms contributed to a youth mental health crisis. According to a report by news agency Reuters, the settlements were revealed in court filings submitted last week in federal court in Oakland, California. The case was brought by Kentucky’s Breathitt County School District, which accused social media companies of creating addictive platforms that harmed students and increased costs for schools dealing with mental health issues. The terms of the settlements were not disclosed, Reuters reported.The settlement resolves claims against YouTube, Snap and TikTok, but the school district is still expected to take Meta — the parent company of Facebook and Instagram — to trial on June 15.
Thousands of lawsuits still pending
As per the Reuters report, more than 3,300 lawsuits related to social media addiction claims are currently pending in California state court against major tech companies. Another 2,400 cases filed by individuals, municipalities, states and school districts have also been combined in federal court in California.Breathitt County School District is one of around 1,200 school districts suing social media companies over claims that their platforms caused a mental health crisis among students.The district reportedly sought more than $60 million to cover mental health support costs and fund a 15-year mental health program. It also asked the court to force companies to change platform features that it described as addictive.
What YouTube, Snapchat and others say
The companies have denied wrongdoing and said they take steps to protect teenagers and younger users on their platforms.A YouTube spokesperson told the news agency: “This matter has been amicably resolved and our focus remains on building age-appropriate products and parental controls that deliver on that promise.” Snap also confirmed to Reuters that it resolved the case amicably. Reuters also reported that a Los Angeles jury earlier this year found Meta and Google negligent for designing platforms considered harmful to young users and awarded $6 million to a woman who said she became addicted to social media as a child.