Alphabet-owned YouTube, Snap and TikTok have reached settlements in a closely watched lawsuit accusing social media platforms of contributing to a youth mental health crisis and shifting the burden of dealing with its effects onto schools, as per a Reuters report.

The agreements were disclosed in federal court filings in Oakland, California, resolving claims brought by Kentucky’s Breathitt County School District. The district had alleged that social media companies designed addictive platforms that harmed students’ mental health and forced schools to spend heavily on intervention and support programmes.

The terms of the settlements were not made public.

Also read: ChatGPT can now manage your finances, lets users link bank accounts

A spokesperson for YouTube said the matter had been resolved amicably and added that the platform remains focused on developing age-appropriate experiences and parental controls for younger users. Snap, which owns Snapchat, also confirmed that it had settled the case.

The case against Meta Platforms, however, is still scheduled to proceed to trial on June 15. The school district’s lawsuit targets Facebook and Instagram over similar allegations tied to student mental health and platform addiction.

The Kentucky case is considered a bellwether lawsuit among a much larger wave of litigation facing social media companies in the United States. More than 1,200 school districts have filed similar claims, arguing that platforms intentionally built addictive features that worsened anxiety, depression and other mental health challenges among young users.

According to court filings, Breathitt County School District had sought more than $60 million in damages. The district said the money would help cover costs associated with counselling, student support services and a proposed 15-year mental health programme designed to address the long-term effects of social media use on students.

Also read: xAI wins partial court backing in Apple-OpenAI antitrust fight, Tim Cook excluded from discovery order

The district had also requested court orders requiring companies to redesign features that allegedly encourage compulsive usage among minors.

The broader legal battle has been gaining momentum. Thousands of related lawsuits are pending in California courts, including claims brought by individual users, school districts, municipalities and state authorities.

In March this year, a Los Angeles jury found Meta and Google negligent in a case brought by a young woman who argued she became addicted to social media as a child. The jury awarded her $6 million in damages, marking one of the most significant verdicts yet in litigation tied to youth social media addiction.

The companies have consistently denied wrongdoing and maintain that they invest heavily in tools, safety measures and parental controls aimed at protecting teenagers and younger users online.

Follow Storyboard18 on Google for the latest and breaking digital news and industry updates, along with in-depth coverage of digital media and gaming news. Stay informed with the latest perspectives only on Storyboard18.

First Published on May 18, 2026, 09:29:45 IST

Share.

Comments are closed.